Monkeytown and Horseshoe Springs

Aunt Jane went out with one of the cowboys and his daughter on a loop around on of the pastures. She and Wayne were unsure that our horses could keep up. Since they’d be trotting the whole way, they were also a little worried about us. So Tony and I were going to take a ride out to one of the windmills to take pictures. At headquarters, which was about halfway there, we met up with Aunt Jane and the cowboy. She offered to take us to Horseshoe Springs, and since we were going to ask about taking a truck out to Monkeytown later in the day and we’d have a chance to drive by a windmill then, we agreed.

It was about 30 minutes out there from Headquarters. When we got there, we took a pit stop and water break. When we left, Aunt Jane asked if we wanted to go back the way we came, or try to find the path over the top. Since neither of us likes backtracking, we went over the top. That was a really cool ride, but we didn’t stop to take pictures. I think we were in a hurry because we were going to be late for lunch.

We took the Suburban to Monkeytown after lunch. On the way out there, we saw this hawk and since I was driving, Tony was doing all the picture taking (he said I had to make sure to let everyone know that this was his picture if I wanted to use it). He thought he’d not gotten anything, I think, but when we got back to the guest house and I loaded all the pictures on my computer, we saw this and were amazed.

Shortly after entering the canyon where Monkeytown was, we met up with a little group of geldings. We took a couple of pictures and drove on to the fence, took some pictures, turned around, and drove back toward where we’d seen the geldings. We decided to get out and climb one of the rock things nearby, but before we got there, the four geldings we’d seen before and some of their friends came up and decided to be friendly. I was surprised, but most of them let us get close enough to touch them and didn’t freak out when we took advantage of the opportunity.

We took a little time on the rock just chilling, but since we had to hurry for dinner, we tried not to waste too much time. But it was so nice being up there, knowing that there likely wasn’t anyone around.


Have something to say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s