Peas are Coming!

The peas are blooming! I’m really excited that we should be getting pods soon. According to this site (and several others), it should be only about a week.


A Better Way

I went out to visit A Better Way Farms yesterday. One of Tony’s mom’s friends knows the woman who owns the farm and suggested I set up a time to visit. So I did. We (where “we” is mostly “she”) did all kinds of stuff with the goats. There was tattooing and disbudding to do and hooves to be trimmed. Ms. Beck-Mullins even showed me how to milk and let me give it a try (even though it wasn’t time for milking, I guess it was ok to take a little milk early).

I have to say that disbudding (removal of the horns) was nauseating (the smell, the sounds, the thoughts). Tattooing wasn’t bad and hoof trimming is pretty normal to me at this point (after all the horses). Milking was the new experience that wasn’t traumatic for anyone. It was definitely exciting that, although milking is going to take getting used to, the videos I watched were helpful in knowing what to do (in the general sense).

I’m really thankful for Ms. Beck-Mullins taking the time out of her day to show me a little bit about how her farm works. That babies were super cute and this goat was hilarious. She came up behind me and complained about every picture I took of her….

The Rye Didn’t Die

Do you see all that green? Not the violets and other stuff in the path, but the tallish plants next to the straw? Yep, that. It’s rye. Evidently, I did something wrong. I don’t know if I cut too early or left the stems too long when I cut, but it didn’t die. So, I spent a little over four hours yesterday and got (almost) two beds cleaned out (I still have one more) and planted. I won’t plant the last bed yet because I’m still waiting for my peppers to put out their second leaves, but I’ll probably try to get the rye cleaned out this week.

This is one of the beds I cleaned out; there are tomatoes and basil in there. I need to get some
wood chips on the beds I planted. I really like the way it helps keep the ground moist (the beds don’t seem to take nearly as much water when they’re covered). I also feel like the wood chips help collect the water instead of letting it all run off (the one bed seems to have really nice soil – fairly fine pieces – but it doesn’t seem to collect water as well as the beds the wood chips)

The other bed that I cleaned out(which I didn’t photograph) has three watermelon plants. Those were free seeds and they are definitely an experiment. Given that my beds are more plant-it-and-leave-it at the moment, I’m a little concerned they won’t get enough water to produce much, but I’m looking forward to seeing what happens.

This afternoon I’m going to visit a dairy goat farm in Waynesboro – I’m pretty excited about that!

Motorcycle Fork Work

Last year, the right fork tube on my motorcycle stopped working right (if there’s a technical term for what you see above, I don’t know it). For those of you who don’t know, the gap should be the same all the way around the tube. Things have been busy, but Dad and I finally got time to start working on it.

We got as far as completely disassembling the bike, but when I left Monday, the tubes needed to be pulled apart so they can be reassembled with some new pieces. I’m really excited about getting my bike back on the road – Tony’s is nice, but mine just fits.